-
January 4th, 2000, 05:31 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello everyone.. I just have to comment on the absolutely awsome day I had yesterday at the season opener SCCA solo II autocross in houston. It was all that and a bag of chips! I competed in the new "STU" class. I was suprised to see about 10 cars in my class I was thinking ohhh sh!ts when I saw about 5 miatas, a fiero, 2 civic hatch backs, a 92 civic ex, and of course my baby. Talk about being nervous, I met up with some friends in the si club that were running STC and got to ride along one time so I could get a feel for what I got myself into. Actually the guy I rode with was in preparred class.. he had a shortshifter, r compound tires, swaybar. That was sooooo very cool. I never been the passenger of someone driving like a maniac like myself but it was really fun!
My car: 6psi Jrsc'd gs-r w/ agx's in the rear adjusted to a kidney feeling "4" wrapped by ground control coilovers with about a 2" drop (fender sits directly ontop of the wheel) to lower the center of gravity which btw are perfectly aligned using camber kits, but I am using stock shocks in the front (not by choice but becuz i cant afford the fronts agx's right now) besides from what I was told was that even if they were adjustable I would want the softest setting on the front anyway. I have a stock sway bar, and for braking I have powerslots in the fronts w/ stock pads. I used my street wheels which are a load carring chrome 16x7 alien neeper wrapped by 205/45/16 falken z-rated 502zex's 40psi front, and 32psi in rear.
Conclusion: I did stunningly well for my first autox, as a matter of fact ended up getting 3rd place in my class. My times were 56.25" with my chic in the car
, 56.75" alone, 55.42 with an instructor, and 54.03" alone. I know that probably doesn't mean much to you all but the average track times were 61". I know alot has to do with driving skill but it was cool to know that I got the same times that an nsx was getting! Also beat the times most of the mustangs and camero (not the x class though
) Btw the cars that beat me in my class were 2 dammed miatas that had the same exact set up, they were both turbo'd running 16 psi of boost. I really don't think they should be in my class since you are supposed to be emission legal and I don't really think that much boost is.. but anyways I was talking to the guys and they were putting 240 whp, and the other 238 whp on those light a$$ cars. Their best time was a 50.32" arrggh
The best times was set by a heavily moded viper at 46" that thing was awwwwsome.
I was very impressed with my car throughout the course, I had never driven like that
It was still so much fun, I didn't kill not one cone, sure did come close though! Best thing yet is that I was able to put all the hard earned money on mods to work instead of looking pretty!
Although my rear end handled great, I think my next mod will be a itr sway bar or a neuspeed. My chic just ordered me the front neuspeed strut bar. But what do you guys think?? I was hopeing on holding off on the front shocks for the reason I mentioned earlier and besides they are still holding up well. Well guys I know I am more of a reader than a poster but I just had to post this one.. For those of you that have never autocrossed, you don't know what you are missing!!
BTW anytips for this rookie, other than getting rid of the heavy ass wheels (the tires were great) ?? Sorry for the long post
I am sooooo hooked!
-
January 4th, 2000, 07:18 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Ok, this site is taking up way too much of my time.....I think I'll quit my job and build race cars for a living! Thanks for sharing the story, it's fun to live vicariously through someone else. I am very new to the auto cross, do you have any info on how I can get started? I live in NY, it would be great to get some info on some racing events here on the Northeast (I don't plan on moving to Cali, but I might have to consider it)!
-
January 4th, 2000, 11:05 PM
#3
Inactive Member
YES! YES! YES! You finally made it out!!!
Sounds like you had a ball. I couldn't make it out this past Sunday. I used up too many favors from the family earlier in the week to be away for the day. Damn!
Welcome to the world of Autocross. The SCCA events are great for the variety, but as I have said before, no so great for the number of runs/time spent at the event.
I think the area BMW/Porsche club event is the 16th at the Houston Police Academy - Don't know if I can make it yet.
($20 for 6-8 runs!)
I have some major/serious commitments on my time on Sundays right now so I don't see myself making it to the SCCA events until, perhaps, spring.
BTW, Am I correct that STU requires non-R compound tires. If so, I am still stuck in e-mod with my Kumhos. I can't see myself going back to street tires once I have had a taste of the R-compond tires.
Glad you had a blast!!!
- - Getting my car back on Thursday - J&S being installed! - -
------------------
Tom
1996 Acura Integra 4 DR
JRSC with JR fuel pump upgrade
Tokico Illumina Shocks & Eibach Pro-kit Springs
Dunlop D60/A2 JLBs (205 50 15) on stock 15 x 6 wheels (street)
Kumho V700 Victoracers (205 50 15) on 15x7 rims (autocross)
Century infant and booster child seats in back!
-
January 5th, 2000, 07:34 AM
#4
Inactive Member
-
January 5th, 2000, 12:06 PM
#5
Inactive Member
The event on the 16th is the BMW event which means you can take passengers in the car with you (Porsche club's insurance policy states that only certified Porsche club instructors can be passengers in participants cars.)
As with most "car-club" events If you are not driving a car from the club (i.e. BMW or Porsche) then you are in another class of "non-BMW/Porsche" cars.
Our cars would be in X3 - for 4 cyl or less cars or X1 for 8cyl (BRING 'EM ON!) or turbocharged cars. In the past, the class depended on who I talked to at registration, but I would think that X1 is probably the most accurate.
Visit http://www.houston-bmwcca.com/calendar.html for more details on the classes, types of cars at the events and directions to the Academy.
I'll let you know if I can make it.
BTW: Aside form the street legality issue, aren't ST classes for cars with more than two seats?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks